Who should I contact about a potentially hazardous tree on (or near) my property?

Answer: Depending on the ownership and location of the tree, there are a few options for contacts here at the City. If the tree or trees appear to be within an undeveloped that may be a regulated critical area, such as a steep slope or wetland, please call Environmental Services at 253-288-4318. If however, the tree or trees appear to be part of a development proposal such as a formal landscape area, please call Planning Services at 253-931-3090.

Someone spilled oil/some substance on the roadway... Who can I contact to have it cleaned up?

Answer: Report spills or water pollution, in the City of Auburn, to Maintenance and Operations at 253-931-3048, Option 8. Check out the City's Storm Drainage page to learn about ways to keep our local water bodies clean.

I am concerned about all of the garbage/dumping around the City... Who is in charge of cleaning it up?

Answer: The city has a program for cleaning up garbage that has been dumped along city right-of-way and on City properties. To report any dumping please visit the Online Citizen Reporting page and submit an online report, or call Maintenance and Operations at 253-931-3048, selecting Option 8 to speak to office staff during regular business hours.

Can you help answer some questions that I have about a sensitive area/wetland near my property?

Answer: Yes, we can likely help answer your questions or point you in the right direction to get you the information that you are looking for. You can call 253-288-4318 or email Environmental Services to contact someone for assistance. In addition, you can check out Chapter 16.10 Critical Areas of the City Code or our Sensitive Areas page.

Do I need a permit to remove a tree?

Answer: The City does not have a tree removal permit. However, within City Code, there are regulations regarding the preservation of significant trees, land clearing, and protecting trees in critical areas; in cases such as these, the City may have certain requirements to that need to be followed for the approval of the proposed work. Each case is a bit different, so feel free to give us a call at 253-288-4318 or email Environmental Services with any questions that you may have.

Can I remove vegetation along the river on my property?

Answer: In general, vegetation removal along the river is discouraged, as it is crucial for bank stability and providing shade to the river. However, the removal of invasive plant species such as Himalayan blackberry and ivy is encouraged to help establish native vegetation. There are certain practices that should be followed when removing vegetation in critical areas such as these and we also work with organizations who can offer some assistance in providing native plants, so if you have any questions feel free to call 253-288-2318 or email Environmental Services.

There are lots of mosquitos around my house because of the surrounding wetlands... do you treat them?

Answer: The City of Auburn monitors mosquito larva counts in the city-owned stormwater ponds and treats as needed to reduce mosquito populations. We do not treat for mosquitos in natural wetland complexes. For more information and to learn about measures that you can take to co-exist peacefully with mosquitos check out the City's West Nile Virus Preparedness page.

How can I get involved?

Answer: We would love to have you come and volunteer with us! Check out our Get Involved page to learn more.

Do you have any upcoming volunteer events?

Answer: We try to hold a volunteer event at least once a month. To check out what we have been up to and learn about any upcoming events, please check out our Facebook page.

How do I find out if a property is within the floodplain?

Answer: There are a couple of ways to find out if your property is located within the City's regulatory floodplain - find out how to look up properties on our Floodplain Management and Flood Information page. For further assistance, you can email the City's Certified Floodplain Managers.

How can I get an elevation certificate for my property?

Answer: If the City has an elevation certificate on record for your property, you can find it by going to our Floodplain Management and Floodplain Information page. To obtain an elevation certificate, you would follow the process available on FEMA's webpage regarding National Flood Insurance Program Elevation Certificate and Instructions.

Do I need flood insurance?

Answer: You may be required to have flood insurance as Congress has mandated federally regulated or insured lenders to require flood insurance on mortgaged properties that are located in areas at high risk of flooding. But even if your property is not in a high risk flood area, your mortgage lender may still require you to have flood insurance. Check out our Floodplain Management and Floodplain Information page for more information.